Thursday, August 27, 2009

Healthy Chili and Zucchini Bread

I did some cooking and baking today!


I made Healthy Chili from my book, "Naturally Thin" by Bethenny Frankel.
I love this book and Bethenny has fabulous ideas and recipes for eating healthy.



Ultra-Healthy Mexican Chili


This serves 1(double, triple or quadruple to serve more people)

1/2 medium onion, chopped
nonstick cooking spray
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 each red and yellow pepper (or just chop half a bell pepper of any color)
1 8 oz. can of pureed tomatoes or tomato sauce
1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
1/4 lb. ground turkey breast
1/4 cup red pinto beans, drained and rinsed

1. Over medium-high, saute' the onion in a nonstick skillet coated in cooking spray until soft. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
2. Stir in the garlic and bell peppers, and cook until peppers are soft and garlic is golden but not burned. Stir in the tomato sauce and the zucchini.
3. When all the vegetable are soft, add the turkey breast and beans. Let the chili simmer for at least 10-15 minutes. The longer you simmer, the better the flavor.

*** I used ground chicken breast as well and I brow the chicken or turkey breast with the onion before combining with the rest of the ingredients.

This chili is very delicious and healthy! I made a huge pot of it today and then divided it up into several containers and popped them in the freezer for future meals.


I baked a loaf of Zucchini Bread this afternoon. My recipe is the normal zucchini nut bread that you see everywhere. I do substitute with some healthier ingredients. I think today I may have over baked it a bit, it is a tiny bit crumbly. But still yummy!




Zucchini squash, it's an amazing veggie. It can be used in both savory and sweet dishes.


God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

hello